- 30 oz. cannellini beans (or combo of beans - in photo above I used pink beans too)
- 6 Tbl chopped yellow/sweet onion
- 5 Tbl extra virgin live oil
- 24 oz. chicken stock or water (more to add at end for desired thickness)
- 4 sage leaves (lightly chopped)
- 1 small rosemary sprig (or a 1/4 tsp dried)
- crushed red pepper to taste *optional
- 1/2 slice of nitrate-free turkey bacon (chopped and crisped) *optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3/4 lb pasta (brown rice pasta and a small pasta like tubetti, small shells, ditalini works nicely)
Add olive oil to a large pot over a medium heat. Add onions and sage and sauté until translucent and soft (if you are using the turkey bacon or red pepper add it with the onions). Add beans, chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for 40 – 45 minutes at a medium low heat.
Cook pasta in a large pot of water until al dente (slightly firm).
Add pasta (put in 1/2 lb first and add more if needed) to a large serving bowl and cover with bean sauce. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and grated parmigiano or romano cheese if desired.